What We Believe
The strength of any organization, and especially a church, is found in the beliefs that it holds dear. That is especially true at SFNaz. As a member church of the International Church of the Nazarene, we are committed to 16 core theological beliefs and 3 core values that are essential to who we are. Scroll down to learn more about our church and the Church of the Nazarene.
The Church of the Nazarene exists to serve as an instrument for advancing the kingdom of God through the preaching and teaching of the gospel throughout the world. Our objective is a spiritual one, namely, to evangelize as a response to the Great Commission of our Lord to “go and make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19; cf. John 20:21; Mark 16:15).nazarene.org
The Kansas District Church of the Nazarene is a consortium of more than 80 churches and new church plants across the western two-thirds of the state of Kansas. A part of the USA/Canada Region of the Church of the Nazarene, the Kansas District is committed to the propagation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ throughout Kansas and beyond.ksnazarene.org
Agreed Statement of Belief
These are the beliefs Nazarenes hold to be true:
- We believe in one God-the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the Old and New Testament Scriptures, given by plenary inspiration, contain all truth necessary to faith and Christian living.
- We believe that man is born with a fallen nature, and is, therefore, inclined to evil, and that continually.
- We believe that the finally impenitent are hopelessly and eternally lost.
- We believe that the atonement through Jesus Christ is for the whole human race; and that whosoever repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ is justified and regenerated and saved from the dominion of sin.
- We believe that believers are to be sanctified wholly, subsequent to regeneration, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit bears witness to the new birth, and also to the entire sanctification of believers.
- We believe that our Lord will return, the dead will be raised, and the final judgment will take place.
Articles of Faith
- We Believe in one GOD, the Creator of all things, who reveals himself as Father, Son and Spirit.
- We Believe in Jesus Christ, who is fully God and fully man at the same time, who became like us to bring about our salvation.
- We Believe in the Holy Spirit, who is active in the world, bringing us to salvation.
- We Believe that the Bible is the Word of God, giving us all we need to know about how to be saved.
- We Believe that we are all sinners by both nature and act and need God's forgiveness and cleansing.
- We Believe that Jesus Christ died on the Cross and that, by trusting in His death, we can be restored to a right relation to God.
- We Believe that God has enabled us to turn to Him from sin but that He has not forced us to do so.
- We Believe that each person must repent, turn away from his sins, and trust Christ to accept him.
- We Believe that when we turn from sin and trust in Christ, the old record of sin is wiped clean, and we are born anew, thus becoming part of the family of God.
- We Believe that after being born anew, we need the fullness of God's Spirit in our hearts. When we make a complete commitment to Him, He cleanses our spirit, fills us with His perfect love, and gives us the power to live victoriously.
- We Believe that the Church is the Body of Christ, carrying on His mission through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- We Believe in baptism and urge people to be baptized as Christians.
- We Believe in the Lord's Supper.
- We Believe that God can heal. We pray for healing. We also believe that He can work through medical science.
- We Believe that Jesus Christ is coming again.
- We Believe that everyone will face the judgment of God with its rewards and punishments.
For a more detailed version of our Articles of Faith, click here.
Our Core Values
We Are a Christian People
As members of the Church Universal, we join with all true believers in proclaiming the Lordship of Jesus Christ and in embracing the historic Trinitarian creedal statements of Christian faith. We value our Wesleyan-Holiness heritage and believe it to be a way of understanding the faith that is true to Scripture, reason, tradition, and experience.
We Are a Holiness People
God, who is holy, calls us to a life of holiness. We believe that the Holy Spirit seeks to do in us a second work of grace, called by various terms including "entire sanctification" and "baptism with the Holy Spirit"-cleansing us from all sin, renewing us in the image of God, empowering us to love God with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength, and our neighbors as ourselves, and producing in us the character of Christ. Holiness in the life of believers is most clearly understood as Christlikeness.
We Are a Missional People
We are a sent people, responding to the call of Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit to go into all the world, witnessing to the Lordship of Christ and participating with God in the building of the Church and the extension of His kingdom (Matthew 28:19-20; 2 Corinthians 6:1). Our mission (a) begins in worship, (b) ministers to the world in evangelism and compassion, (c) encourages believers toward Christian maturity through discipleship, and (d) prepares women and men for Christian service through Christian higher education.